Counseling Services for Children
The following counseling services are available for children ranging in age from 2-12.
- Play Therapy
- For children ages 2-12, play therapy provides an open environment where they can express difficulties through the language of play. In the presence of a trained play therapist, children can freely play out their experiences and resolve life challenges from everyday stress to abuse and grief. A responsive and attuned therapist allows children to learn how to change behaviors, develop problem-solving skills, and integrate the experiences of relationships, the development of mind, and the growth of the brain.
- Canine Assisted Play Therapy
- Canine Assisted Therapy is provided by Doctoral Fellow Jennifer Austin Main and her therapy dog Rook. Rook is a one year old Shetland Sheepdog and Jennifer’s co-therapist. Rook has achieved the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) title with the American Kennel Club. He excels in rally/obedience and therapy dog work. He is a gorgeous dog with a delightful temperament, which is sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face. He enjoys working with children by providing love, support and encouragement. Jennifer and Rook work together to provide child-centered canine assisted play therapy at CAPTI.
- Child Parent Relationship Training
- Attachment Based Child Parent Relationship Training to help parents better understand and be attuned to their children